|“||When I killed people I had a desire. This inspired me to kill more. I don't care whether they deserve to live or not. It is none of my concern. I have no desire to be part of society. Society is not my concern.||”|
Xinhai was born on July 29, 1969, in Zhumadian, Henan Province, China. His family was the poorest in the village and he was the youngest of four children. He was known for being a rather clever and introverted child. At the age of 17, he dropped out of school and began traveling across the country, working as a hired laborer. At some point in his life, he became a robber. In 1996, he attempted to rape a woman in Zhumadian and was sentenced to five years in prison.
Serial Killings, Arrest, and Execution
After his release, he met a girl who would later become his girlfriend but she eventually left him. As a result, he began serial killing as a way to get "revenge" on society.
Xinhai's first known murder victims were an unnamed couple. He broke into their farmhouse and brutally killed them by bludgeoning them to death with an unspecified object. He then continued to murder people for three years. His most infamous familicide was of the Zanwhei family. He brutally bludgeoned farmer Liu Zanwhei to death, along with his mother, wife, daughter, and son, using a hammer. The grandfather, Liu Zhongyuan, survived because he had slept in a different house during the night of the murders. After killing the family, he buried the hammer and threw the bloody clothes into a river. Xinhai became the prime suspect in various murders in three different provinces: Anhui, Shandong, and Henan. Police eventually tracked him down, and he was arrested on November 3, 2003, in a nightclub of Cangzhou, Hebei province.
In prison, with his DNA matching samples found at the crime scenes, Xinhai
confessed to the string of killings and was convicted of 67
murders and the rape of 23 women. He also met with other criminals in prison and when questioned about why he killed so much people, he simply replied, "Killing people is
very usual, nothing special." The media gave him the nickname "The Monster Killer" due to the brutality of the murders. Xinhai was eventually sentenced to death on
February 1, 2004, and was executed on February 14 by a single shot to the head. The identity of many of his victims and other details about the murders were not disclosed to the public.
Late at night, Xinhai would enter his victims' homes and brutally bludgeon the occupants to death with various objects, notably axes, hammers, and shovels. Some of his victims were entire families. The women he killed were also raped before being murdered. As a forensic countermeasure, he would wear different clothes during each murder. He killed all of his victims in the poor rural areas of the provinces of Anhui, Hebei, Henan, and Shandong.
- Unspecified date in 1996, Zhumadian, Henan Province: Unnamed woman (attempted to rape)
- September 19, Zhoukou, Henan Province: An unnamed couple
- October 1, Fuyang, Anhui Province: Three unnamed victims (one was also raped)
- August 15, Luohe, Henan Province: Three unnamed victims (one was also raped)
- Fall, Zhoukou, Henan Province: An unnamed couple
- Winter, Pingdingshan, Henan Province: An unnamed couple
- January 27, Kaifeng, Henan Province: Three unnamed victims (one was also raped)
- June 30, Zhoukou, Henan Province: Three unnamed victims (one was also raped)
- July 28, Nanyang, Henan Province: Four unnamed victims (two were also raped)
- October 22, Zhumadian, Henan Province: An unnamed family
- The unnamed father
- The unnamed mother (attempted, but survived; was non-fatally bludgeoned and raped; was pregnant at the time)
- The unnamed daughter, 6
- November 8, Zhumadian, Henan Province: Five unnamed victims (two were also raped; one survived the attack)
- November 16, Kaifeng, Henan Province: An unnamed couple (the wife was also raped)
- November 19, Luohe, Henan Province: An unnamed couple
- December 1, Zhoukou, Henan Province: An unnamed couple (the wife was also raped; one survived the attack)
- December 6, Zhumadian, Henan Province: The Zanwhei family (all bludgeoned with a hammer)
- Liu Zanwhei (father)
- The unnamed mother (also raped; survived, but died in the hospital ten days later due to her injuries)
- The unnamed daughter
- The unnamed son
- Liu Zanwhei's unnamed mother
- Liu Zhongyuan (Liu Zanwhei's father; attempted; was sleeping in another home at the time of the attack)
- December 13, Xuchang, Henan Province: An unnamed couple
- December 15, Fuyang, Anhui Province: Three unnamed victims (one was also raped)
- February 5, Xuchang, Henan Province: Four unnamed victims (one was also raped; one survived the attack)
- February 18, Zhoukou, Henan Province: Four unnamed victims (two were also raped)
- March 23, Shangqiu, Henan Province: Four unnamed victims (one was also raped)
- April 2, Heze, Shandong Province: An unnamed couple
- August 5, Xingtai, Hebei Province: Three unnamed victims
- August 8, Shijiazhuang, Hebei Province: Five unnamed victims
- Xinhai is believed to be responsible for as many as 67 murders in total.
- He also committed an unknown amount of robberies before he started serial killing.
On Criminal Minds
Xinhai seems to have been the inspiration for serial killer and family annihilator Karl Arnold in Seasons One and Five. Both would would break into their victims' homes at night and kill them, sexually assaulted some of their female victims, and were triggered by the rejection of a woman.