A vigilante is a person who violates the law in order to exact a perceived justice against criminals and wrongdoers or people perceived as such. Usually due to a lack of faith in the legal justice system.
On Criminal Minds
Vigilantes on the show:
- Marvin Doyle ("A Real Rain") - A schizophrenic court stenographer whose auditory hallucinations, coupled with the murder of his parents, drove him to kill criminals who were acquitted, and claimed to be victims themselves.
- Ronald Weems ("Sex, Birth, Death") - The head of a neighborhood group called "The Decency Watch", whose frustration with a seemingly lax system prompted him to murder prostitutes, who he viewed as subhuman degenerates.
- Jonny McHale ("True Night") - A psychotic comic book writer and artist who survived a brutal attack by a street gang that left his pregnant fiance dead. He then began targeting members of the gang and slaughtered them under the alias 'True Night'.
- Paul Silvano ("Demonology") - A Catholic priest who targeted and killed via false exorcisms a group of men he thought were responsible for the death of another priest, who was an old friend of Silvano's.
- Boyd Schuller ("Reckoner") - A dying judge who hired hitman Tony Mecacci to eliminate criminals, most of them involved in crimes against children, who were acquitted in cases he presided.
- Tory Chapman ("Pay It Forward") - A man who went on a series of murders, targeting allegedly perfect citizens of a small town who hid dark secrets that involved them committing some sort of illegal activity.
- Leland Duncan ("In The Blood") - A psychotic man who, while under a delusion, began killing people who had sinned somehow, such as being a drug addict or a repeat voyeur.
- Tanner Johnson ("Gatekeeper") - A psychotic night-time doorman who, while under a delusion, began killing people who had flaws, such as being a marijuana user or constantly asking for money, and simultaneously proved to be bad influences on the tenants of the apartment he worked at.
- Clifford Walsh ("The Road Home") - A man who went on a killing spree, initially targeting criminals at random before focusing on people specifically involved in the case of Howard Clark, a teenager who murdered his wife and son.
- John David Bidwell ("Boxed In") - A young man who began abducting young boys who were causing trouble on Halloween, keeping them locked inside a box for a year until releasing them the day before Halloween. Unlike most vigilantes on the show, Bidwell had no intention to kill his victims, only to give them a literal "punishment" for their wrongdoings by holding them captive.
- Danny Lee Stokes ("Protection") - A schizophrenic man who went on a killing spree, targeting people who were committing immoral acts. However, as he continued to slip further into his delusions, he devolved and began killing random people after hallucinating them committing crimes, even though they were actually innocent.
- James O'Neill ("Drive") - A former ride-share driver who continued his services, taking advantage of them to pick up people who were committing immoral acts, abduct them, and kill them by decapitating them with a homemade guillotine.
- Mitchell McCord ("Bad Moon on the Rise") - A dental lab technician whose son was killed in a mugging gone wrong right in front of him and his wife. While under a drug-induced delusional state he would kill criminals (such as gang members and muggers) in the same fashion as a werewolf in the same park where his son was murdered.
- Note: Both William Hightower and Evan Abby are considered vigilantes despite not truly fitting the pathology.