A vigilante is a person who violates the law in order to exact a perceived justice against criminals and wrongdoers or people perceived as such. Usually due to a lack of faith in the legal justice system.
On Criminal Minds
Vigilantes on the show:
- Season One
- Season Two
- Season Three
- Season Four
- Season Five
- Season Eight
- Season Nine
- Leland Duncan ("In The Blood") - A psychotic man who, while under a delusion, began killing people who had sinned somehow, such as being a drug addict or a repeat voyeur.
- Tanner Johnson ("Gatekeeper") - A psychotic night-time doorman who, while under a delusion, began killing people who had flaws, such as being a marijuana user or constantly asking for money, and simultaneously proved to be bad influences on the tenants of the apartment he worked at.
- Clifford Walsh ("The Road Home") - A man who went on a killing spree, initially targeting criminals at random before focusing on people specifically involved in the case of Howard Clark, a teenager who murdered his wife and son.
- Season Ten
- John David Bidwell ("Boxed In") - A young man who began abducting young boys who were causing trouble on Halloween, keeping them locked inside a box for a year until releasing them the day before Halloween. Unlike most vigilantes on the show, Bidwell had no intention to kill his victims, only to give them a literal "punishment" for their wrongdoings by holding them captive.
- Danny Lee Stokes ("Protection") - A schizophrenic man who went on a killing spree, targeting people who were committing immoral acts. However, as he continued to slip further into his delusions, he devolved and began killing random people after hallucinating them committing crimes, even though they were actually innocent.
- Season Eleven
- Season Thirteen
- Mitchell McCord ("Bad Moon on the Rise") - A dental lab technician whose son was killed in a mugging gone wrong right in front of him and his wife. While under a drug-induced delusional state he would kill criminals (such as gang members and muggers) in the same fashion as a werewolf in the same park where his son was murdered.
- Note: Both William Hightower and Evan Abby are considered vigilantes despite not truly fitting the pathology.