|Season 2, Episode 9|
|Air date||November 15, 2006|
|Written by|| Debra J. Fisher|
|Directed by||Gloria Muzio|
The daughter of high-powered diplomats, Emily Prentiss joins the team, and she must convince Gideon and Hotch she deserves the job based on merit and not on her family connections. Meanwhile, the BAU is called to St. Louis to investigate two serial killers who appear to be competing with each other.
Guest Cast Edit
- Rochelle Greenwood - Marci Mitchell
- Chip Hormess - Jason Mitchell
- Scott Michael Morgan - The Hollow Man
- Sara Alltop - Katie Carroll
- Jason O'Mara - The Mill Creek Killer
- Deborah Van Valkenburgh - Betty Mitchell
- Robert C. Koch - ND Agent
- Jonathan Kehoe - Angry Man
- Karina Bennett - Female Reporter #2
- Cory Tyler - Security Guard
- Landall Goolsby - Male Reporter #2
- Hanna Alltop - Hysterical Woman
- Jeff Grays - Sheriff's Deputy
- Natalie Salins - Cara Becker
- Kate Rene Gleason - Female FBI Agent
- David Barry Gray - Tom Carroll
- Victoria Kelleher - Ellen Carroll
- Christopher B. Duncan - Agent James Sheridan
- Maury Sterling - Jim Meyers
- Inger Tudor - Female Reporter
- Trevor Olsen - Male Reporter
Referenced Criminals Edit
- David Berkowitz, Son of Sam
- Paul Bateson or Richard Cottingham, The Torso Killer (possibly; unidentified)
- Russell Ellwood and Victor Gant (possibly; unidentified)
- Dale Hausner and Samuel Dieteman, The Serial Shooters
- Mark Goudeau
- Ted Bundy
- Mark David Chapman
- "Field Below" by Regina Spektor
Bookend Quotes Edit
- Jason Gideon: Elbert Hubbard once wrote, "If men could only know each other, they would neither idolize nor hate."
- Aaron Hotchner: Mahatma Gandhi once said, "Remember that all through history there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they seemed invincible. But in the end they always fall. Always."
- This episode marks the first appereance of Paget Brewster as Special Agent Emily Prentiss.
- Though Reid only names three examples of instances when more than one independent serial killer has been active in the same area, there are more examples, such as:
- Serial killers Edmund Kemper and Herbert Mullin were both active in Santa Cruz, California, at the same time.
- Patrick Kearney, William Bonin, and Randy Kraft were three independent serial killers in California at the same time, all of whom were initially believed to be a single man nicknamed The Freeway Killer.
- Derrick Todd Lee, a.k.a. "The Baton Rouge Serial Killer", was active in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, at the same time as Sean Vincent Gillis, who actually feared being "outdone" by Lee.