The BAU travels to a small Texas community to investigate the murders of children. Meanwhile, Elle is having readjustment issues after being shot, and Hotch becomes worried about her when she misses a mandatory psychological evaluation and isn't answering her cell phone.
- Jarrod Bailey - Simon
- Preston Bailey - Eric
- Martha Boles - Agent Breen
- Sean Bridgers - James Charles
- Chris Conrad - Deputy Mack
- Elle Fanning - Tracy Belle
- Skyler Hudson and Logan Hudson - Nicholas Faye
- Robert Knott - Chief Jones
- Geoffrey Lewis - Coroner
- Noah Matthews - Matthew
- Cameron Monaghan - Jeffrey Charles
- Alina Phelan - Janine
- Bobby Preston - Henry
- Jessenia Quiroz - Emma
- Stacy Reed - Elaine Faye
- Ciro Suarez - Deputy Hall
- "Blue Light of the Flame" by Dar Williams
- Aaron Hotchner: Plato wrote, "We can easily forgive a child who's afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
- The name "Sheriff John Bridges" is engraved on a trophy that is briefly shown in the Ozona Police Station. A character who shares the exact same name appeared in the Season One episode The Popular Kids. Coincidentally, the episode's unsub turns out to be the son of an assisting investigator, just like the unsub of The Popular Kids.
- In a possible hint towards the upcoming episode "No Way Out", the wind-chimes hanging from Joseph Finnegan's porch roof appear to be made of rib bones.