The Sig Sauer P220 series family of handguns are produced by German company SIG Sauer. There are a number of different models chambered for various cartridges, the most popular of which are Sig Sauer P226 and its sub-variants.
The original P220 pistol emerged in 1975 for the Swiss Army as a replacement for the World War II-era pistol Sig Sauer P210. It was produced through a joint cooperation by SIG and J.P. Sauer & Sohn of Germany, hence the classification of SIG Sauer for all subsequent pistols. The P220 was first officially adopted for military use by Switzerland, followed by other countries like Denmark and Japan. It was eventually succeeded by the Sig Sauer P226 and its sub-variants. A number of other P220 variants, for multiple purposes, emerged over the years.
In the U.S., the P220 was sold as the Browning BDA from 1977 to 1980.
The P220 is no longer being sold under the 7.65x21mm Parabellum, 9x19mm Parabellum, and .38 Super cartridges.
Original P220 Specifications
- Cartridge: 7.65x21mm Parabellum (discontinued), 9x19mm Parabellum (discontinued), 9mm Steyr, .38 Super (discontinued), 10mm Auto, .45 ACP, .22 LR (with conversion kit)
- Action: Locked breech, short recoil
- Weight: 1.9 lbs. (0.86 kg.)
- Length: 7.7 in. (19.6 cm.)
- Barrel Length: 4.4 in. (11.2 cm.)
- Capacity: 6-10
SIG Sauer P220 Products
- Sig Sauer P220
- Sig Sauer P220 Sport (discontinued)
- Sig Sauer P225 (alternatively P6)
- Sig Sauer P226
- Sig Sauer P227
- Sig Sauer P228
- Sig Sauer P229
On Criminal Minds
The P226 variant has been frequently seen in the series and is the main sidearm of former SSA Derek Morgan. The P228 was used as the main sidearm of former Senior SSA Jason Gideon, while the P229R was used as the main sidearm of former SSA Alex Blake.