When a small group of military academy youths commit a mass suicide, the BAU looks into the real reasons behind their actions. Meanwhile, Hotch and Morgan butt heads when a team member jeopardizes the case.
- Sterling D. Ardrey - Randy Parker
- Jayne Atkinson - FBI Section Chief Director Erin Strauss
- René Auberjonois - Colonel Ron Massey
- Mitchel Blackfield - Bailey Shelton
- Matthew David - Carter Campbell
- Kevin Fonteyne - Josh Redding
- George Gerdes - Lieutenant Shockley Tawes
- Michael Harding - Will Redding
- Jeanine Jackson - Tiff Redding
- Tim Powell - Doctor Alexander
- Don R. Williams - Chris Shelton
- Derek Morgan: "Things do not change. We change." Henry David Thoreau
- Derek Morgan: "Beware, so long as you live, of judging men by their outward appearance." Jean de La Fontaine
- A self-fulfilling prophecy is the term for a scenario in which a prediction is directly or indirectly made true, as dictated through said prediction's terms, due to the reaction toward such content. For example, in the Greek myth of Oedipus, the titular character was abandoned by his father after being predicted to be the one to murder the latter and then marry his own mother. He grew up unaware of the prophecy and believing that his adoptive parents were his true parents. When he traveled to Greece, he got into a fight with a stranger (later revealed to be his own biological father), killing him, and then married the stranger's widow (therefore revealed to be his own biological mother).
- Sterling D. Ardrey, the actor who portrays Randy Parker, previously appeared on Criminal Minds, starring as a young Derek Morgan in the Season Four episode Brothers in Arms.
- In the episode, Carter Campbell states, "A cadet will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do." This seems to be a reference to the honor code of Texas A&M University, which has a senior military college in College Station, Texas.