The BAU travels to Portland to assist the investigation into the disappearances of people who are new to the city and have no strong social ties. Meanwhile, the team is forced to cope with Gideon's abrupt departure.
- Jayne Atkinson - FBI Section Chief Director Erin Strauss
- Jon Barton - SWAT Leader
- John Bobek - Patrick Walker
- Matt Bushell - Agent Bill Calvert
- Randy Crowder - Apartment Super
- Melody Hollis - Jessica Howard
- Jennifer Keyes - Jenny Whitman
- M.J. Karmi - Mrs. Howard
- Brandon Killham - Young Stanley Howard
- Casey Kramer - Landlady
- Michael O'Keefe - Doctor Stanley Howard
- Danielle Sapia - Missy Cassell
- Stephanie Venditto - Jane Howard
- Gary Taylor, The Phantom Sniper
- "Barely Holding On" by Wes Nickson
- "Broken" by Lifehouse
- "Can't Find My Way" by Phil Collins
- "Requiem, KV 626 In D Minor: IIIa. Dies Irae (Sequentia)" by Mozart Festival Orchestra
- "Scott Joplin Collage" by Gordon Green
- "Tambourine" by Steffan Fantini
- "River of Darkness" by Kalli
- Aaron Hotchner: The Taoist philosopher Lao Tzu once wrote, "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still."
- Aaron Hotchner: Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."
- This episode was dedicated to Mark Kamps, then the current supervising sound editor on Criminal Minds, who passed away less than a month before the episode aired. He died on August 24, 2007, in Ventura, California, at the age of 44.