The Militant Islamic Society (sometimes acronymed MIS) is an apparently fictional terrorist group which appears in Lessons Learned.
MIS's history is not revealed in detail. It appears to originate from real-life terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda. Reid describes it as an "atypical prison organization", most likely stationed in the U.S., that recruits prisoners through the use of A'immah (Muslim clerics). The recruitment base is comprised of numerous ethnic groups and is largely made up of American citizens who have a reason to hate the government, and are generally not accepted by other groups.
Lessons Learned Edit
The group first becomes prominent when, during a raid the DEA finds a homemade explosive device of Al-Qaeda design, along with chemicals that could be used to weaponize anthrax. The BAU are called in to question Jamal Abaza, aka Jind Allah, a detainee held at Guantanamo Bay, who is linked to it. Eventually, Gideon, Reid and then-new agent Prentiss are able to trick him into revealing the target of the attack: the USA Mall in McLean, Virginia. The four MIS operatives sent to carry out the mission first kill a security guard blocking their way, then head up to the building's air vents and prepares to release the anthrax. They are stopped by DEA and SWAT, led by Morgan, and all four are shot dead. The events are then covered up as a failed robbery attempt. The MIS hasn't been mentioned since then.
Modus Operandi Edit
The group killed their victims through various means. The weapons they are known to have used are bombs and guns. During the USA Mall attack, they attempted to kill numerous employees and customers with weaponized anthrax by sending it through the building's ventilation system.
No profile of the group was officially made, since the team was focused on Jamal.
- Jamal Abaza (incarcerated). Portrayed by Anthony Azizi.
- Tariq Mohammad (status unknown)
- Numerous other unnamed members (nine of them deceased). All portrayed by uncredited actors.
Mutual Victims Edit
- November 21, Annandale, Virginia: The house bombing:
- November 22, McLean, Virginia:
- Five unnamed members (all executed, presumably to remove loose ends)
- The attempted USA Mall attack:
- Unnamed docking security guard (was shot in the head)
- Numerous unnamed employees and shoppers (attempted to kill with weaponized anthrax)
- ↑ A'immah is the plural form of Imam