The Colt M4A1 Carbine is an American military weapon.
The M441 rifle family was developed from the M16 rifle, which was first used in the Vietnam War and in turn developed from the AR-15. There are several variants of the M4, including the MWS (Multiple Weapon System) version, the M4A1 and the SOPMOD (Special Operations Peculiar Modification) Block kits. Though the gun is U.S.-designed, it's used by military and law enforcement in other countries as well, including the British Special Air Service, the Australian Special Operations Command and many law enforcement agencies all over Europe. It is currently in use by U.S. forces in Afghanistan.
- Cartridge: 5.56x45mm NATO
- Action: Gas-operated, rotating bolt
- Weight: 6.36 lb. (2.88 kg.) (empty), 7.5 lb. (3.4 kg.) (loaded with 30 rounds)
- Length: 33 in. (840 mm.) (with stock extended), 29.75 in. (756 mm.) (with stock retracted)
- Barrel Length: 14.5 in. (370 mm.)
- Capacity: 30 rounds min.
On Criminal Minds
- Phillip Dowd ("L.D.S.K.") - A "long distance serial killer" who killed two people and wounded eight others using this weapon. He meant to only wound victims so that he could save them in the hospital. One incidentally died because of delay of emergency personnel, while his last victim was killed intentionally.
- Henry Frost ("Identity") - A budding serial killer who was equipped with an M4A1 while holding a hostage.
- Owen Savage ("Elephant's Memory") - A teenage spree killer who used an M4A1 to kill most of his victims.
- Ronald Boyd ("A Rite of Passage") - A prolific serial-turned spree killer who used an M4A1 mounted on his ATV while attempting to escape the BAU.
- The Regime Squad in Season Nine - Two unnamed members of this terrorist group used M4A1s during a gunfight with Blake, Morgan, Reid, and Rossi.