The Colt M4A1 Carbine is an American military weapon.
The M441 rifle family was developed from the M16 rifle, which was first used in the Vietnam War and in turn developed from the AR-15. There are several variants of the M4, including the MWS (Multiple Weapon System) version, the M4A1 and the SOPMOD (Special Operations Peculiar Modification) Block kits. Though the gun is U.S.-designed, it's used by military and law enforcement in other countries as well, including the British Special Air Service, the Australian Special Operations Command and many law enforcement agencies all over Europe. It is currently in use by U.S. forces in Afghanistan.
- Cartridge: 5.56x45mm NATO
- Action: Gas-operated, rotating bolt
- Weight: 6.36 lb. (2.88 kg.) (empty), 7.5 lb. (3.4 kg.) (loaded with 30 rounds)
- Length: 33 in. (840 mm.) (with stock extended), 29.75 in. (756 mm.) (with stock retracted)
- Barrel Length: 14.5 in. (370 mm.)
- Capacity: 30 rounds min.
On Criminal Minds
The following non-criminal characters used M4A1s.
- Season Two
- SWAT agents - M4A1s are used frequently throughout the series by SWAT agents, beginning in "Empty Planet".
- Season Three
- Unnamed Sheriff's Deputy - An unnamed Sherriff's Deputy is seen carrying an M4A1 in "Elephant's Memory".
- Season Four
- Season Seven
- US Troops - A batch of US Troops in Pakistan can be seen wielding M4A1s in "It Takes A Village". They are also frequently shown with them throughout the series.
The following unsubs used M4A1s in their crimes:
- Season One
- Phillip Dowd ("L.D.S.K.") - A "long distance serial killer" who killed two people and wounded eight others using this weapon. He meant to only wound victims so that he could save them in the hospital. One incidentally died because of delay of emergency personnel, while his last victim was killed intentionally. He later used it to take the hospital hostage.
- Season Three
- Season Five
- Season Nine
- Season Eleven