Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|REAL WORLD BIO|
|Name||John Wayne Boyer|
|Alias||The Long Haul Territory Killer|
|Pathology|| Unclassified Killer|
Serial Killer (suspected)
|No. of Victims||2+|
John Wayne Boyer, a.k.a. "The Long Haul Territory Killer", is a murderer and suspected serial killer.
Little is known about Boyer's early life. For his adult life, he lived in the Wilmington, North Carolina area for years and also in Brunswick County and New Hanover County, as well as Augusta, Georgia with his mother. He worked as a trucker and was a transient who harbored misogynistic expressions and a short temper that would result in his murders. According to court records, he had numerous minor violations dating back to the 1980s. He was indicted with the 2005 murder of 24-year-old prostitute Jennifer Smith, a murder that was previously attributed to Bruce Mendenhall, a.k.a. The Prosti-Shooter. Allegedly, he picked Smith up and drove her to an abandoned parking lot just off Interstate 40, where he murdered her after having an argument over money before dumping her body, which would later be discovered by a highway worker. At the time of his indictment, Boyer was serving a 12-year sentence for the Illinois killing of 31-year-old Scarlett Wood, whom he said had struck her head on furniture when he pushed her after having an argument with him, but was also found to have been stabbed and beaten. He also confessed to the 2000 killing of 34-year-old Michelle Haggadon, who was found on August 3 at Darlington County, South Carolina, but not identified until September 2011. To date (October 2015), Boyer remains incarcerated at a North Carolina prison.
According to police officials, Boyer targeted women who were smaller than him and slightly built. He killed them through a variety of ways: Scarlett Wood was beaten, stabbed, and had her head struck; and Jennifer Smith was strangled with a seatbelt of his truck.
Note: The dates and locations denote when the victims were discovered
- Unspecified date in 2004, Wayne County, North Carolina: Scarlett Wood, 31 (beaten, her head struck, and stabbed)
- April 2005, Bucksnort, Tennessee: Jennifer Smith, 24 (strangled with a seatbelt of his truck)
- August 3, 2000, Darlington County, South Carolina: Michelle Haggadon, 34 (alleged; was apparently strangled)
- Unspecified date in 2002, North Carolina: Rosie Marie Mallette, 26 (the back of her skull was crushed)
- Unspecified dates and locations:
- North Carolina: Madelyn Cox Thomas
- Maine: Pamela Webb
- Virginia: Amy Baker
On Criminal MindsEdit
While Boyer wasn't mentioned or referenced in Criminal Minds, he might have been one of the inspirations for Wade Hatchett, the prominent unsub of Solitary Man. Both worked as truckers, targeted women, and operated across state lines.
- LongHaulTerritoryKiller.com, a website focused on John Wayne Boyer
- Huffington Post article on Boyer
- News 14 Carolina article on Boyer's confession to the murder of Michelle Haggadon
- Serial Killers Podcast article on the identification of alleged Boyer victim Michelle Haggadon
- WMBF News article on the identification of alleged Boyer victim Michelle Haggadon