Jayne Atkinson is an English-born American film, theater and television actress. She is best known for her theater work and for the role of Karen Hayes on 24.
Jayne Atkinson was born in England, but her family moved to the United States when she was 9 years old. She attended Northwestern University (BA Communications, 1981), where she was a member of Alpha Chi Omega and a sorority sister of Laura Innes; and the Yale Drama School.
Atkinson launched her professional acting career on stage by appearing in a Broadway production of All My Sons in 1987. Subsequently, she landed title roles in more stage productions, which include Henry VIII, Tru, and The Art of Success. She earned a Drama Desk Award for Best Actress in a Play for her performance in The Striker in 1996. Atkinson's work in the 2000 production of The Rainmaker earned her a Tony Award nomination, while her performance in the 2003 play Enchanted April earned her an Outer Critics Circle Award and another Tony Award nomination and a Drama Desk nomination. She starred in 2009 as Ruth Condomine in a Broadway revival of Noel Coward's Blithe Spirit.
She has appeared in such films as Free Willy, Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home, 12 and Holding, Blank Check, The Village and Syriana.
Her television acting credits include A Year in the Life, Parenthood, The X-Files, Law & Order, The Practice, and Joan of Arcadia. Her performance on the made-for-TV movie, Our Town, garnered her a Golden Satellite Award nomination for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television. She appeared on 24 and in Criminal Minds in notorious recurring roles.
She played the role of Section Chief Erin Strauss since her introduction in the Season Two final episode No Way Out II: The Evilution of Frank. Her character took prominence as the nemesis of Hotch in Season Three, making appearances in the episodes Doubt, In Name and Blood, Scared to Death, and About Face. She isn't again until the Season Five episodes Cradle to Grave, The Eyes Have It, 100, The Slave of Duty, and The Fight, where her character seems to complete a 180-degree turn in her opinion about Hotch and her relationship with the team. She later made regular reappearances in Seasons Six, Seven, and Eight. Her character was killed off in the Season Eight finale The Replicator, but reappeared in flashbacks in the Season Nine episode 200.
- An Entire Body (2010) - Louise
- The Getaway (2010) - Myrtle Sommers
- Criminal Minds - 23 episodes (2007-2014) TV episodes - Section Chief Erin Strauss
- Handsome Harry (2009) - Kelly's Wife
- Recount (2008) - Theresa LePore
- Law & Order - Dazzled (2002) - Dr. Claire Snyder Defense Attorney, Sport of Kings (2005) - Defense Attorney Hammond and Political Animal (2008) TV episodes - Melanie Carver
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - Savant (2007) TV episode - AUSA Marion Springer
- 24 - 30 episodes (2007) TV episodes - Karen Hayes
- Syriana (2005) - Division Chief
- Twelve and Holding (2005) - Ashley Carges
- Joan of Arcadia - Friday Night (2004) TV episode - Fran Montgomery
- The Village (2004) - Tabitha Walker
- Psychoanalysis Changed My Life (2003) - Marianne Loewe
- Our Town (2003) - Mrs. Gibbs
- The Education of Max Bickford - 7 episodes (2001-2002) TV episodes - Lyla Ortiz
- The Practice - Part I (1997) TV episode - Ruth Gibson
- Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home (1995) - Annie
- The X Files - Fearful Symmetry (1995) TV episode - Willa Ambrose
- Blank Check (1994) - Sandra Waters
- Free Willy (1993) - Annie Greenwood
- In the Best Interest of the Children (1992) - Wanda Birney
- Parenthood - 12 episodes (1990-1991) TV episodes - Karen Buckman
- Absolute Strangers (1991)
- Midnight Caller - Blood Ties (1991) TV episode - Teri Scanlon
- Beauty and the Beast - Trial (1989) TV episode - Molly Nolan
- The Revenge of Al Capone (1989) - Elizabeth
- Moonlighting - Shirts and Skins (1989) TV episode - Robin Fuller
- A Year in the Life - 22 episodes (1987-1988) TV episodes - Lindley Gardner Eisenberg
- Between Two Women (1986)
- A Year in the Life (1986) TV mini-series - Lindley Gardner Eisenberg
- Blithe Spirit (2009) - Revival, Play, Comedy, Farce - Ruth
- Enchanted April (2003) - Original, Play, Romantic Comedy, Comedy - Lotty Wilton
- Our Town (2002) - Revival, Play, Drama - Mrs. Gibbs
- The Rainmaker (1999) - Revival, Play, Romance - Lizzie Curry
- The Vagina Monologues (1999) - Off-Broadway - (Replacement)
- Ivanov (1997) - Revival, Play - Anna Petrovna
- Tru (1989) - Original, Play, Solo - Voice of Jan (recorded voice only)
- All My Sons (1987) - Revival, Play, Drama - Ann Deever