- Alfred Adderly - Malcolm
- Gideon Adlon - Katie Hammond
- Eddie Alfano - Frazier
- Diego Amarosa - Duerson
- Heather Ankeny - Liz Hammond
- Hal Devi - Officer Tyler
- Adam Ferrara - Bob Hammond
- Rick Gifford - FBI A.S.A.C. Hal Clayton
- Richard T. Jones - Officer Lionel Wilkins
- Kenyetta Letheridge - Driver
- Niko Nicotera - John Malone
- Harold Perrineau - Calvin Shaw
- "Heat Miser" by Massive Attack
- Spencer Reid: "How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I'm to be whole." – Carl Jung
- Spencer Reid: "Cannot be seen, cannot be felt. Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. It lies behind stars and under hills, and empty holes it fills. It comes first and follows after, ends life, kills laughter." – J.R.R. Tolkien
- This is the seventh of nine episodes to deal with two separate cases.
- Despite being credited in the opening sequence, Aisha Tyler, the actress who portrays Lewis, doesn't appear in the episode.
- This is, in fact, the tenth episode in which a main character has not appeared despite his or her actor or actress being credited as usual. The first episode was Broken Mirror, in which A.J. Cook and Kirsten Vangsness do not appear as JJ and Garcia, respectively, despite being credited. The second was 25 to Life, in which Thomas Gibson does not appear as Hotch. Three Season Eleven episodes were part of a small story-arc, in which Gubler also did not appear as Reid. The sixth and seventh were Taboo and The Anti-Terrorism Squad, both in which Tyler did not appear as Lewis. The eighth was Profiling 202, in which Gubler did not appear as Reid either. The ninth was Seek and Destroy, in which Gubler and Lewis did not appear.