The Glock 17 is a semiautomatic pistol (handgun) chambered for the 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge.
The Glock 17 was the very first pistol manufactured by firearms manufacturer GLOCK. Production of the pistol began in 1980 when the Austrian Armed Forces announced its intent to seek a replacement for their World War II-era Walther P38 pistols. There was a strict, 17-part criteria for the new pistol, which GLOCK decided to take. In 1982, the company assembled a team of leading handgun experts from various military, police, and civilian sport-shooting circles in Europe, which helped them define an ideal pistol; this turned into the Glock 17. The Glock 17 was accepted after passing all of Austria's endurance and abuse tests, and adopted by the Austrian military and police.
The tests' results sparked a wave of interest in the Glock 17 in Western Europe and overseas, particularly in the U.S., where a similar campaign to select a countrywide replacement for the M1911 pistol had been underway since the late 1970s. In 1983, the U.S. Department of Defense inquired about the Glock 17 and received four samples for unofficial evaluation. Meanwhile, the pistol was adopted by Norway and Sweden's armed forces after surpassing all prior NATO durability standards. As a result, the Glock 17 became a standard NATO-classified sidearm. By 1992, about 350,000 pistols were sold in more than 45 countries, including 250,000 in the U.S.
Following the Glock 17's introduction, numerous variants and versions were offered. These variants differ in caliber, frame, and slide length; and have been identified by different model numbers, with the exception of the Glock 17L.
- Cartridge: 9mm Parabellum
- Feed System: Safe Action
- Weight: 22.4 oz. (625 g.)
- Length: 7.32 in. (186 mm.)
- Capacity: 17 (standard), 19, or 33 (optional)
On Criminal Minds
- Gideon carried a Glock 17 in the pilot episode, Extreme Aggressor. He is later seen carrying a Sig Sauer P226 throughout Season One. In Season Two, he switched to a P228.
- Hotch carried a Glock 17.
- Morgan carried a Glock 17 with a TLR-2 Streamlight tactical light/laser attachment (he switched to Sig Sauer P226R with TLR-1 tactical light attachment in Season Six). Like Hotch, he also carried a second Glock (likely a Glock 26) in a backup ankle holster.
- Mateo Cruz carries a Glock 17.
- Reid carried a Glock 17 until Season Four (he switched to a Smith Wesson Model 65-3).
- Stephen carried a Glock 17.
- Peter Lewis carried a Glock 17 and a Glock 26 stolen from Hotch during a standoff.