The bodies of three young girls are discovered in the woods of Bemidji, Minnesota, the result of barbiturate poisoning. Unable to identify the victims, the local police turn to the Behavioral Analysis Unit. Profiler David Rossi learns that the girls disappeared more than ten years ago from Georgia. Further investigation reveals that the perpetrators have been involved in a cycle of kidnapping and murder for close to twenty years—and are about to start again...
- Wayne Williams, The Atlanta Child Murderer
- Jeff Weise The Red Lake Senior High School Shooter
- Ted Bundy The Lady Killer
- Dennis Rader, BTK (Bind-Torture-Kill)
- "When we were children," Madeleine L'Engle said, "we used to think that when we were grown-up, we would no longer be vulnerable. But... to be alive is to be vulnerable."
- "Parentage is a very important profession," George Bernard Shaw said, "but no test of fitness for it is ever imposed in the interest of the children."