Cannibalism (Anthropophagy) usually refers to the act or practice of humans consuming human flesh. It is usually caused by some cultural reason, famine when no other options remain, or by insanity, which is the most common reason among Criminal Minds unsubs.
On Criminal Minds
- Eddie Mays ("Blood Hungry") - Due to drug-induced religious mania, Eddie would cut his victims open after killing them and take an organ believed by a religion to contain the soul, as well as some blood.
- Floyd Feylinn Ferell ("Lucky" and "Lucky Strikes") - A Satanist who would butcher women and use the meat, taken primarily from the legs, in different cannibal dishes he concocted. He also forced one of his victims to eat the fingers of several previous victims, also qualifying him as a projected cannibal.
- Gina King ("The Performer") - After strangling her victims, she would puncture their throats and drink their blood, due to being what was described as a "vampirist" (a condition that could occasionally lead to more "traditional" cannibalism).
- Owen Porter ("Exit Wounds") - After killing his fourth victim, Owen cut out the man's spleen and took it home, with it being heavily implied that he ate it.
- Emma Kerrigan ("The Good Earth") - Driven by a delusion to rid herself of her scleroderma, Emma abducted a woman, performed a non-fatal C-section, and took her entire placenta, later eating some of it and even attempting to feed the rest to her daughter.
- Wallace Hines ("The Inspiration" and "The Inspired") - Though he is not classified as an actual cannibal in the classic sense, Wallace was classified as a projected cannibal, since he tortured his victims by force-feeding them parts of a decapitated human head.
- Jesse Gentry ("The Inspiration" and "The Inspired") - Like his twin Wallace, Jesse is a projected cannibal since he tortured his second victim by force-feeding her her own severed finger.
- John Malone ("Hell's Kitchen") - While holding his victims captive in a sewer, John would drain one to three liters of blood their bodies, being a "vampirist" and believing it would cure him of his blood disorder.
- Marcus Manning ("Lucky Strikes") - Marcus copied the M.O. of Floyd Feylinn Ferell, biting the legs of one of his victims post-mortem and eating the severed fingers of another. Also, like Floyd, he force-fed a victim's fingers to another victim, making him a projected cannibal.
- Marcelo Costa de Andrade (also a "vampire")
- Richard Chase (also a "vampire")
- Jeffrey Dahmer
- Karl Denke (also a projected cannibal)
- Nikolai Dzhumagaliev
- Albert Fish
- Stephen Griffiths
- Carl Großmann (also a projected cannibal)
- Edmund Kemper
- Tsutomu Miyazaki (also a "vampire")
- The Ripper Crew
- Dorángel Vargas
- Andrei Chikatilo (ate the nipples of one victim, and the tongue and genitals of another)
- Pedro Rodrigues Filho (ate a piece cut from his father's heart)
- Sean Vincent Gillis (ate the nipples of one victim and one from another)
- Nathaniel Bar-Jonah had cannibal fantasies and drank his own blood regularly since childhood, and was suspected of cooking and serving a child to unwitting guests. Remains of two different people were found in his meat grinder and buried in his former residence, but there was no conclusive proof that he had killed or eaten either.
- Charlie Brandt extracted the hearts of his victims, and these hearts were never found. In one occasion, Brandt told an unwitting relative that his revenge of choice was to kill, carve the heart out, and ate the heart of those who offended him.
- Jack the Ripper claimed to have eaten half of a kidney in the "From Hell" letter, but its authorship is disputed.
- The BAU theorized that one of the Monster of Florence's reasons to remove the genitals from his female victims was his desire to eat them.
- Robert Pickton was suspected both to have fed his victims bodies to his pigs (and in turn sold the pigs meat to unwitting customers) and to have sold the victims flesh itself as pig meat.