|“||Every single person on that list deserves justice! And it's justice that they managed to evade!||”|
Schuller worked as a judge in a local court of law. In 2007, his wife, Emma, was killed in a car accident by a drunk driver, Dan Patton. On October 2008, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. This caused him to snap completely, having witnessed so many offenders walking away. He hired Tony Mecacci, a hitman whose trial he had presided, to kill a number of people who had escaped conviction for crimes against children, Dan Patton, and then Schuller himself.
The BAU is called in after the third victim, Ben Vanderwaal was killed. They figure that a hitman was responsible, narrowed down the list of suspects, and reach the conclusion that Schuller is the "Planner" of the murders. Almost at the same time, Schuller turns himself in, claiming full responsibility for the murders. After being manipulated by Rossi, who had known Emma when they were young, into believing he and Emma had an affair together, Schuller has an outburst, exclaiming "every single person on that list deserves justice", which led the BAU to believe there were more people on the hit list, most likely Dan Patton. In the meantime, Tony kills Patton and escapes. Schuller denies there being any more people on the hit list. He is then arrested under the public pretense that he is aiding the investigation. As he is brought out, he confesses to Rossi that he had lied earlier. He is then shot and killed by Tony, apparently from a sniper position. It is later revealed that this was actually an assisted suicide, Schuller having been killed at his own request.
Each mutilation represents the crimes the unsubs believe the victims had committed. Schuller was profiled as "The Planner" of the killing team, both of whom are males. The Planner works in the criminal justice system, working as possibly a defense or prosecution attorney, a judge, or even a police officer. It is possible he suffered a severe and devastating tragedy of some sort. Because of the sophisticated nature of the scenario, the planner is probably aged in his late 50s to early 60s. The Planner likely met the second unsub, named by the BAU as "The Enforcer", within the court system. The Planner hired him to carry out justice where the courts did not. This kind of justice does not come cheap, so he has good access to substantial money. There was absolutely no attempt to hide the mutilation, which suggests that the Planner does not care what the authorities find or he wants them to find it, but the Enforcer has no such intentions.
Note: All of the following were killed by Tony Mecacci on Schuller's orders.
- February 4: Rita Haslat (had neglected a number of legal cases, including one of a fatally starved child; was abducted and starved herself for four weeks before being killed)
- July 22: Bill Levington (had been accused of raping a number of minors; his genitals were cut off post-mortem)
- October 7:
- Ben Vanderwaal (had molested his stepdaughter; was tied to a chair and his hands were cut off post-mortem)
- October 9:
- Dan Patton (the drunk driver who killed Schuller's wife; bludgeoned repeatedly with a baseball bat before being killed)
- Boyd is the fourth unsub to successfully complete his goal. The others are:
- Marcus Younger ("North Mammon") - An abductor and proxy killer who successfully abducted three teenage girls and forced them to kill one of them.
- Frank Breitkopf in Season Two - A prolific serial killer and abductor who successfully killed at least 176 people, reunited with Jane Hanratty, and escaped arrest by taking a group of children hostage.
- Jonny McHale ("True Night") - A vigilante and serial-turned-spree killer who successfully killed Glen Hill (and possibly his entire gang), the leader of the 23rd Street Killers, the street gang that murdered his pregnant fiancé Vickie Wright.
- Dylan Kohler ("Divining Rod") - A serial killer and abductor who successfully killed four women in order to make "the perfect wig" for Helen Garrett.
- Darlene Beckett ("The Pact") - A killer and proxy killer who along with Ellen Russell killed the men responsible for the rape and murder of Darlene’s daughter, and killed the woman responsible for the death of Ellen’s nephew. Darlene also evaded capture while Ellen was caught and incarcerated.
- Diane Turner ("Zugzwang") - A murderous stalker and abductor who successfully killed both her intended targets and herself.
- Anton Harris ("To Bear Witness") - A murderous abductor who successfully recorded his sister's torture and broadcasted it around the world. He also got his father's attention (but not his approval).
- Peter Lewis in Seasons Ten, Eleven, Twelve, and Thirteen - A "wound collector" and proxy killer who successfully killed Regan and the others responsible for a scandal that resulted in the death of his father.