NOTE: The term is not to be confused with the term "hitman.
An assassin is someone who kills, or at least attempts to kill a person prominently known to the public. Their reasons for doing so vary, though the most popular motives are for ideological, religious or political reasons.
Types of Assassins
- Type 1: Assassins who are defined as being motivated by high-profile reasons, like politics or religion. John Wilkes Booth was motivated to assassinate Abraham Lincoln as means of upturning restored order to the U.S. after the fall of the Confederacy.
- Type 2: Assassins are defined as being egocentric and motivated to commit their crimes in order to gain recognition. Charles Guiteau was egocentric and motivated to assassinate James A. Garfield after his requests to become a U.S. ambassador were turned down. Lee Harvey Oswald killed President John F. Kennedy due to his obsessive need for attention and validation.
- Type 3: Assassins are defined as being psychopaths and sociopaths whose methods were disorganized. Charles Manson was a sociopath who ordered the members of his Manson Family to kill everyone in 10050 Cielo Drive, including actress Sharon Tate in hopes of starting a race war.
- Type 4: Assassins are defined as being delusional. Mark David Chapman was stated to be delusional at the time of his murder of John Lennon.
On Criminal Minds
Assassins on the show:
- Season One
- Season Three
- Season Seven
- Trevor Mills ("A Thin Line") - A family annihilator, abductor, and serial-turned-spree killer, who in a last-ditch effort to try and ensure Clark Preston's victory in a mayoral election, Trevor tried to kill opposing candidate Hilary Ross, and likely would have tried to make an attempt on the life of the town's current mayor had he not been killed. (Type 1)
- Izzy Rogers ("Hit" and "Run") - A symphorophilic, anarchistic, and international serial killer, thrill killer, terrorist, bank robber, serial bomber, cop killer, mass murderer, abductor who assassinated at least one politician, an ambassador, and it is presumed she also killed other similar victims. (Type Unknown)
- John Wilkes Booth - Assassinated President Abraham Lincoln.
- Evan Spencer Ebel - Assassinated Tom Clements, head of the Colorado Department of Corrections.
- Sirhan Bishara Sirhan - Assassinated New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy.
- Lee Harvey Oswald - Assassinated President John F. Kennedy.
- James Earl Ray - Assassinated civil rights leader, Dr. Martin Luther King.
- Arthur Bremer - Attempted to assassinate Richard Nixon and George Wallace, severely wounding the latter.